Start with International Music Exams
- Please visit our FAQs to find answers to our frequently asked questions.
- Our support page links to useful pages including how to contact us.
- Our universal rules will guide you in preparing for your exam before enrolment.
- We have a special page for teachers that gives additional information.
- This page provides step-by-step instructions on enrolling in an exam with International Music Exams.
1. Read the Rules
Please read the rules for International Music Exams.
2. Record Your Exam Performance
Make a video recording of your exam performance. Our examiners want to hear you play at your best, so we encourage you to choose the take that you are most happy with.
Your video must fit within the time limits fo each grade. Refer to the rules for the maximum time allowed for each grade.
Most recent phones can record good quality audio and video, but be sure that the lighting makes you clearly visible and that the sound is clear and well balanced if you are playing with accompaniment.
Your instrument should be clearly visible so experiment with the best positioning of the music stand so that it does not block you in the shot.
Important: Your video must be recorded in one take, with no edits to sound or video. Please take a small break between each piece.
3. Upload Video
To upload video, you will need to use either YouTube or Vimeo. To use either service you will need to create an account with them. Instructions can be found on their respective websites.
A note on privacy. International Music Exams recommend that you set your videos to hidden on YouTube or private on Vimeo. This way you can share the link (URL) in your enrolment form without anyone else finding your video recordings. To do this it is free on YouTube but there is a charge on Vimeo. We do not suggest uploading your recordings as public videos.
- How to create a Google account
- How to create a YouTube account
- Verify your YouTube account
- How to upload to YouTube
Once you have created your account with your preferred service, you can upload videos. Please note that if you need to upload a video longer than 15 minutes to YouTube, you will have to verify your account, a quick and easy step.
4. Create your free account at musicexams.com
If you haven’t already, create your free International Music Exams account at:
To register you need to provide:
- email address
- country of residence
- date of birth
- a secure password
If you are under 18 years of age, parent/guardian consent is required. They will need to provide
- phone number
- email address
5. Enrol in a Music Exam
Login to musicexams.com, ‘My Account‘.
On this page you can:
- update your personal information
- enrol in an exam
- view payment information
To begin an exam click the button – “ENROL IN A NEW EXAM”
- Your currency will be automatically selected based on your approximate geolocation, but you can change the currency in the dropdown.
- Select your MUSX grade from the dropdown menu. The price will appear.
- Select your instrument from the dropdown menu.
- If you would like to link your account to your teacher’s account, put in their unique MUSX Teacher ID. You will need to ask your teacher for this ID. This number links your exam to your teacher’s account so that they can see your results. Linking your account to your teacher is optional.
- Paste in the URL (web address) of your YouTube or Vimeo video. You can copy the address from the browser bar, or use the share buttons on YouTube or Vimeo. Your video will embed once you begin inputting your pieces.
- Input your selected repertoire including the title, composer (arranger) and publisher. Press the plus (+) button to add another piece. Remember, you must input at least 3 pieces.
- If you are opting to present technical work, select the toggle to ‘Technical Work’. You may input up to 10 different scales or other exercises from your grade level.
- You must agree to the rules.
- Once you have confirmed your exam details, click the ‘ENROL NOW’ button.
You will then be taken to the checkout where you will need the following billing information to complete payment:
- Billing name from the credit card.
- Billing Country
- Billing email address. This can be different from the candidate’s email address.
- Credit Card to complete payment.
- Click the ‘PLACE ORDER’ button.
You have now enrolled with International Music Exams.
- You will be taken to an order received page to confirm your payment details.
- You will receive an email for the payment.
- You will receive an email confirming your enrolment.
- You will receive a further email once your examiner has completed their assessment.
- Your ‘My Account‘ will be updated with any change of status relating to your exam.
- You can download a PDF of your examiner report and certificate from the link in your email, or directly from ‘My Account‘.